Thursday, August 11, 2005

Odds and sods

UPDATE 14 Aug 3:55 pm - The answers are in bold at the end of each reference. The title of this post is the title of Peter Townshend's (Who) first solo offering, which had the first released version of "Pure and Easy" (and for my $$$ the better version)

NOTE: At the end of this post is a little game you can all join in with. It's very simple and I think it's not new. "You Can All Join In," a Dave Mason Traffic song.

* The left would have us all over the world join hands and start a love train. Unfortunately, a team of suicide bombers is at the next stop. "Love Train," the O'Jays.

* NARAL's anti-John Roberts ad is backfiring. But who cares what things they choose? They've little to win and nothing to lose. "Incense and Peppermints," Strawberry Alarm Clock.

* Everyone expects the Schumer Inquisition. Its biggest weapon is surprise... no, not that... Its biggest weapon is fear... no, not that either... Its biggest weapon is... an almost fanatical devotion to abortion. Yeah, that's it. That's the ticket. Monty Python and the Jon Lovitz character from Saturday Night Live (yeah, that was the 80s. So I lied. Just like Lovitz.)

* John Walker Lindh has had a change of heart, I've heard. The American Taliban wants to join the military, according to a very high source outed by Valerie Plame's husband. "Don't ask me, I don't give a damn," the source reported Lindh as saying. "Next stop -- Afghanistan." Country Joe's "I Feel Like I'm Fixin' To Die Rag."

* The Islamoloonies in Iraq are starting an adaptation of MTV's "Pimp My Ride" series. It's called "Pinto My Ride." A genuine blast from the past, eh? I once drove a Pinto. Not for long, though.

* When asked what his struggling radio network needs, noted egocentricist Al Franken said, "money, money, money... money!" Another O'Jays riff, "For the Love of Money."

* Noted liar Joe Wilson has hired Nick Danger, Third Eye, to spy on Karl Rove. Danger farmed the job out to Georgie Tirebiter. Another Firesign Theatre riff.

Now the fun part. Name the references to 60s and 70s esoterica referred to here.