Sunday, May 29, 2005

What do marriage vows include?

Painting is not one of my favourite things to do... especially on a holiday weekend when the Better Half, Dog and Dolly are at the New Jersey shore.
But that is exactly how I have spent much of this day, with breaks for church, dinner (Nardone Bros. pizza from the old stomping grounds) and this visit to the blogosphere.
We've lived in our current abode for just about five years now, and we hadn't painted the bathroom yet. So Better Half decides it's time to paint the bathroom.
"I'll do it," she says. "You'll just have to take care of the high stuff."
Well, guess who's doing it. Call it another case of the Honeydew Syndrome.
I'm just wondering about this whole painting thing, to be honest with you.
Did I miss something in the vows? Did Father John slip something in on me while I wasn't paying strict attention, something like "Do you promise to paint whenever your wife wants you to paint?" ???
Or do husbands carry some sort of sign visible only to wives that reads "Will Paint For Sex"?
I don't know.
So I get the first coat on the bathroom walls done, go to church, go to the store for my Nardone Bros. pizza and some stuff for the rest of the week, get home, put some mulch on the flower bed down by the mailbox at the bottom of our driveway, and pop the pizza into the oven when the phone rings.
"Hello."
"How you doing?"
"Well, I'm just having my pizza now."
"Well, we had Thanksgiving today."
"Huh?"
"Yeah, turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberries, corn on the cob, the whole works."
Our friend whose mother and aunt own the house where we stay on our annual beach pilgrimage must have gone all out.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
They're having turkey.
I'm painting. The dogs, Jasper the wonder barker and Maguire the lovable lug, are chomping down on dog food mixed with tortilla chips.
What's wrong with this picture?
Well, I gotta go. Time to put the second coat on the dark-coloured wall, then do some laundry.