Tuesday, May 24, 2005

I am a wingnut

One of the favorite put-downs from the Librano sympathizers is "wingnut."
It is clearly intended to be an epithet, indicating that the person so tagged has about as much intelligence as a lump of manure.
Looking at some of the characteristic beliefs of those labeled "wingnuts", I figured I had better take a closer look to see if I, in fact, would be a "wingnut."
* If believing that rights are imbued in us by our creator, not parceled out by a government which has the power to revoke those rights at will, makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
* If believing that government owes its citizens honest performance, not theft, fraud, and deception; and believing that a government forfeits its mandate when it breaks the bonds of trust with its people makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
* If believing that the only real marriages can be between men and women makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
* If believing that wisdom is not limited to the halls of government and academia, but also exists in corner taprooms and at kitchen tables, makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
* If believing that principles are something to be held dear, not auctioned off to the highest bidder, makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
* If believing that the past has lessons that we should learn, processes that we should follow, and wisdom that should be heeded makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
* If believing that government should create an atmosphere where a culture of life, rather than a culture of death, can flourish makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
* If believing that those who choose to serve and protect us, be it in the military or police, are worthy of respect unless they - by their actions - individually demonstrate otherwise makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
* If believing that having standards, not relativism, is fundamental to a free society that respects all makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
* If believing that tolerance is not acceptable when confronted by something that completely contradicts one's principles makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
* If believing that the moral order takes priority over the political order in one's life makes one a wingnut, then I am a wingnut.
Well, I guess I am a wingnut, then.
But... you know something? I'm proud of it.