Saturday, June 04, 2005

Tagged...

The Great Pumpkin has tagged me!
Now I am IT!
It's time to reveal the deeply hidden library of books in the household, etc., etc., etc.

Number of books I own: I tend not to count 'em, but it's probably a couple of hundred, between the den and the basement. (Throw in the kids' books and the number doubles.)
Last book I bought: "Shakey" (the Neil Young biography)
Last book I read: "Let Us Speak of Many Things" (Wm. F. Buckley Jr. collected speeches)
Five books that mean a lot to me: (in no particular order)
* "I Haven't Understood Anything Since 1962" by the late Lewis Grizzard - the columnist for the Atlanta newspapers wrote with a sparkling wit and a feeling that much of liberalism had passed him by. Also, "Elvis Is Dead and I Don't Feel Too Good Myself" by Grizzard is also a classic about the aging of a boomer.
* "The Closing of the American Mind" by Allan Bloom - a tome of how un-liberal "liberal" thought is.
* "The New Elite" by David Lebedoff - probably out of print, but if you can find it, read it. It's a dead-on guide to the way the elites of US and Canada operate.
* "The Unmaking of a Mayor" by Wm. F. Buckley Jr. - If you want a primer on contemporary conservative thought, with uproarious wit and dead-on analysis, read this.
* "You Told Me Go To Hell, So I Did" (the working title of the book I'm working on right now)

I, however, am going to hold off for a day or two before tagging the next batch of unsuspecting victims.